Click a question in any category to expand and read the answer. Clicking a new question will reveal the answer and close the previous question and answer.
About The Homes
- Are linens, towels, dishes, and toiletries provided? What should I bring?Yes; linens, towels, dishes, cookware, glassware, and silverware are provided. Generally, homes include 'the basics' in terms of cooking utensils and housewares. Be sure to bring any specialty cooking gear and spices you may need. All homes include a microwave, toaster, barbecue (either gas or charcoal), coffee maker, and TV (cable may or may not be included). With the exception of hand soap, toiletries and hair dryers are not provided. A starter supply of toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap, dishwasher soap (for homes with dishwashers), laundry detergent, and trash bags is included in the rental. Unless specified, firewood is not included with most homes but can be purchased at many of the local markets and grocery stores.
- Can I check-in earlier than 4 pm or check-out later than 11 am?The check-in and check-out times are firm during the high season (Memorial Day through Labor Day). During the low season, early arrivals and late departures are contingent on whether a guest is arriving or departing at the same home on the same day. To request an early check-in or late check- out, please contact our office no more than a day or two prior to your arrival date and we'll check availability at that time.
- Can I ship boxes or send mail directly to the vacation home?The major mail carriers won’t deliver to vacation homes. However, you can ship parcels to Guerneville Parcel Box for a small handling fee per box or to the Shipping Station in Forestville (707) 887-2697.
- Do all homes come with cable and/or internet?Cable, satellite and internet service availability will vary from home to home. Please contact our office for assistance if you're looking for a specific service. As the Russian River resort area is such a rural area, internet service is often very limited and unreliable with significantly slower speeds and data limits in some locations. Connectivity and speed are dependent upon many factors including weather, obstruction, noise, usage and so on.
- I'm on a tight budget; can I clean the house myself and forgo the cleaning fee?For quality assurance purposes, all homes are cleaned by approved cleaning personnel only. We offer homes that fit almost every budget. If you're under strict monetary constraints, please contact one of our agents; we're happy to help you find an economical home to fit within your budget.
- If I have a service question or need help with operating electronics or an appliance in the house, what should I do?Each homeowner provides a guest guide or handbook in the home. Information such as how to connect to the internet; operate the DVD player; and other details about the home are usually contained within. If you need additional assistance, please contact us 7 days a week at 877.869.0198 so we may contact the homeowner on your behalf. If your matter is urgent, please leave a message on our main line but also call the emergency number on our outgoing message.
- What's your cancellation policy?Should you wish to cancel a reservation, notice of cancellation must be in writing. If the notice of cancellation is received within 48 hours of booking, we will refund your stay in full as long as the check-in date is at least 30 days away. A 50% refund will be issued for cancellations made at least 30 days before check-in. No refunds for cancellations made within 30 days of check-in.
- Will my cell phone work at the house?Cell phone reception in the river area is extremely spotty, and will vary from cell phone to cell phone. Cell phone reception depends on the cell phone carrier, type of service and type of cell phone.
- Will the hot tub be ready when I arrive? If I have questions about it, who should I call?All homes with hot tubs are required to have tubs professionally serviced by a licensed company. Hot tub maintenance occurs on a weekly basis. If you have questions about how to operate the hot tub, contact information for the hot tub company is posted next to the hot tub or in the in-home guest handbook. You're also welcome to call our office at 877.869.0198 and we're happy to contact the service on your behalf.
- Can I fish in the river?Yes. The Russian River is a barb-less hook river year-round. Steelhead, Bass, Catfish and Bluegill populate the river. Check with the California Department of Fish and Game for specific rules and regulations. Guided fishing tours; free fishing maps; up-to-date fishing information; and reel and rod rentals are available through King's Sport and Tackle in Guerneville.
- What time of year can I use the watercraft if it's included with the home?Kayaking and canoeing at the river is seasonal. May through September is usually optimal, but is entirely dependent on weather and river conditions and will vary year to year. When the river reaches a stage that is too high or the current is too swift, water craft is stored for the winter. As a general rule, river conditions November through March are too dangerous even for experienced kayakers.
Ambiance & Environment
- I'd like to rent a riverfront home. How much highway noise will I hear from the house?The 116 Highway/River Road runs from the 101 Freeway out to the Pacific Ocean. The highway hugs the river most of the way. For the most part, riverfront homes that are on the highway side of the river will receive the most road noise. The majority of homes in the Russian River resort area receive some level of 'white noise' as the river and highway are in a canyon. If you're especially sensitive to 'white noise', feel free to contact us and we can discuss what homes will be the best fit.
- What about the drought in California?While the river is never dry, it's sometimes too shallow to float kayaks in certain areas. The Russian River is a managed river system with reservoir releases controlling river flows, especially throughout most of the summer and fall. When tributary stream flows are low, the Water Agency releases water stored in the reservoirs to supplement the natural flows in the Russian River to provide adequate flows for water supply, recreation and aquatic habitat. The river levels are usually very low in Spring and early Summer. Depending on the conditions, dams are installed in the river sometime in June (which slows the current and raises river levels for recreation) and removed in September.
- What is the environment/wildlife like at the Russian River?The Russian River is a rural resort area that is beautiful and woodsy surrounded by ancient redwoods that's ideal for nature lovers. You can enjoy the sun, go on a wine tasting adventure, hike trails, kayak or just enjoy the slow pace of getting away from it all. You won't find manicured lawns or gated communities here. Most cabins and homes are in the woods in their raw natural state. With such beautiful natural surroundings, brings the presence of wildlife. You can watch the osprey from Osprey Hill or you might spy an otter floating on its back down the river. Butterflies, deer, hawks and other wildlife are often spotted. If you're a wildlife enthusiast, you're in for a treat. The forest also is home to some pesky and pesty critters too. Spiders are especially prolific in such a forested area, and can hide during the day and rebuild webs nightly. Ants, scorpions and wasps are commonly found as well. Ants can appear in a house unexpectedly at anytime especially during the rainy season. If you should encounter ants during your stay, just phone our office for assistance. There are also a healthy population of raccoons. Raccoons are adept at rummaging through trash and are persistent and clever in finding new ways to thwart raccoon “proofed” cans. Coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions roam the area, and as such, small dogs should not be left unattended outside. There are lots and lots of trees! Enjoy a hike or horseback ride through Armstrong Woods or zip line through the redwoods in Occidental. With so many trees around, you can also expect to see lots of leaves especially in the fall and winter seasons. Of course, our housecleaners sweep regularly, but leaves will easily cover a deck or yard within a day or two.
In Case Of Emergency
- Where is the nearest hospital?Palm Drive Hospital
501 Petaluma Drive
Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital
1165 Montgomery Drive
- Who Can I Call?For medical, police, or fire emergencies, call 911.
For other urgent matters relating to the rental house, please call the RRR Emergency Line - 707 872 7575.
- I plan on barbecuing. Do I bring charcoal for the barbecue? What do I need to bring for gas grills?Propane is provided for gas grills. If you need to refill the canister during your stay, there are two locations. For Guerneville and Forestville propane canister refills, visit True Value/Dada Hardware (707) 869-2832 on River Road in downtown Guerneville. For Monte Rio, Cazadero and Duncans Mills homes, visit Cassini Ranch Campground (800) 451-8400, 22855 Moscow Road, Duncans Mills. Be sure to ask for and keep your receipt for reimbursement after your stay. Only refills for existing tanks will be reimbursed with proof of receipt; please do not purchase a new canister or tank without prior office approval. Homes with charcoal grills do not include charcoal or lighting fluid. You may purchase charcoal at any number of locations including Safeway, Berry's Market, Bohemian Market, and Bartlett's.
- Where is the nearest market or grocery store?A large 24-hour Safeway is on River Road in the main strip of downtown Guerneville. Smaller markets such as Berry's Market in Forestville on Hwy 116, Bartlett's General Store in Monte Rio and Bohemian Market in Occidental are also good for quick trips. Guests staying in Occidental have the option of nearby Sebastopol (15 minutes drive) for a larger variety of markets (Whole Foods, Safeway, etc.). Note: please plan on limited hours on holidays.
What To Bring
- Are cribs, highchairs, and pack 'n plays provided?Cribs, highchairs, and pack 'n plays are available only at specific homes. Please check the amenities section on the home's web page, or phone our office for assistance.